Rexam is a leading global beverage can maker with sales in the region of $6.5 billion in 2014. We have 55 can making plants in more than 20 countries and employ around 8,000 people. Headquartered in London, England, we are an established member of the FTSE 100. We are business partners to some of the world’s most famous and successful consumer brands such as Coca-Cola, Red Bull, Heineken, and PepsiCo.
Our vision to “be the best global consumer packaging company” is strongly supported by Rexam’s five embedded core values: Continuous Improvement that is always seeking perfection; Trust meaning loyalty to each other in a respectful way and commitment to our customers, our community and the environment, Teamwork to get the best outcome, together; Recognition to our most important asset, our people; and Safety – recently named in our five values and is consistent with respecting every individual.
We have been committed to a path of lean enterprise across all our operations as a way of putting our values into practice for over ten years. This approach is an essential part of what we call the “Rexam Way.”
The Rexam México Facility
Rexam Beverage Can Americas S. A. de C.V is based in Querétaro, Mexico. The operation was formed as a joint venture in September 1995 by partners Vitro and Rexam until October 2004 when Rexam acquired 100% of the assets; supplying Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean area.
Of the 159 people on site, there are 140 involved in plant operations and management and 19 people are responsible for finance, logistics and sales. The 520,000 sq. ft. facility has three aluminum can manufacturing lines, two for 12-oz. and one for 24-oz. sizes dedicated to customers such as Coca-Cola, Heineken, Hornell and Modelo, with a total production of 3.9 million 12-oz. cans and 1.1million 24-oz. cans each day. The plant operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and we are relentlessly working to exceed our customer expectations.
Product and Process
The site is capable of producing two sizes of beverage cans, 12 oz. and 24 oz., for 18 customers, resulting in over 200 active label options (designs). The ability to continuously improve changeover times to meet requirements for smaller lot sizes and make faster deliveries is at the heart of maintaining a competitive advantage.
To make a beverage can, the key process steps involve stamping and drawing aluminum discs from rolled stock to form a can shape. The cans are then washed before being labeled using in-line screen printers. They are then shipped to our customers filling locations across Mexico and Central America.
Speed and quality are the key drivers of process performance, and our OMS and QAS (Statistical Quality System), Manufacturing Operations Management and Enterprise Manufacturing Intelligence provide real-time production data and process monitoring capability.
Continuous Improvement Process
Rexam has operated a global system of lean enterprise since 2003, structured around building capability in specific tool sets of culture, VSM, 5S, TPM, SMED and six sigma.
Rexam’s best plants were invited to participate in a more sophisticated assessment known as “Beyond Gold,” where the implementation of lean systems is appraised. A system of merit is used to recognize achievement starting at Emerald, then Sapphire, and finally Diamond. In recognition of our lean efforts, we became the first plant in Rexam North America to be awarded “Beyond Gold” diamond level twice.
Rexam Mexico Achievements
- 2,228,989 work hours without lost time accident at the end of May 2015.
- Lean Enterprise achievements:
- Silver 2004
- Gold 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Beyond Gold Sapphire in 2011
- Beyond Gold Diamond in 2012
- Our can designs are recognized worldwide for their print quality (Worldstar Awards 98, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05 and 06) and for innovation in 2010. From 2011 to 2015, our plant was recognized in the industries Can Maker magazine and received second place in innovation in 2012.
- Clean Industry Certification since 2001.
Safety & Environmental
- Zero lost time accidents (LTA) since Sep 2010.
- Rexam Chief Executive Officer Safety Award for achieving one million hours with zero lost time incidents in 2009 and in 2013.
- Clean Industry Certification since 2011, demonstrating sustained compliance with Mexican environmental legislation.
- Benchmarked against North and Central America Rexam plants, ranked top three in safety audit.
- Annual safety training for all employees.
- Monthly safety visits from management covering all areas of operations, warehousing and administrative
- 100% participation from operative and staff personnel
in Behavioral Based Safety Program.
- Zero environmental accidents.
- Maintaining a program that helps to promote the
recycling of aluminum cans open to the public.
- Electricity consumption reduced by 25% between
2011 and 2014.
- Gas consumption reduced by 14% between 2014 and
- 2012 FSCC-22000 Food Safety accreditation.
- Two black belts (plant manager, assistant plant
- Six senior team members are green belts.
- QAS (quality assurance systems) and QAS Minitab
real time SPC process monitoring covers 100% of
- Number of customer complaints has reduced from 81 in 2013, to 76 in 2015, for a reduction of 38% over those years.
- Coca-Cola, Heineken, Modelo Group and Omnilife trust supplier.
- Real-time visual plant manufacturing system and downtime management (OMS).
- Automated in-line vision systems to detect mix label and flange-necker defects.
- Support our customers at their locations in order to improve their can line “runability.”
- Between 2011 and 2015, five green belt projects including support areas with participation from the people of the plant
- Rotation below 1.60% since 2010, actual 2015 1.25%
- Absenteeism rate from 0.05% in 2013 to 0.03% in 2014, up to date 2015 0.02%
- Engagement score from 69% in 2012 to 74% in 2013
- 81% are extremely satisfied to work at REXAM as best place to work
- 21 employees with more than 20 years of service, 17 employees with more than 15 years, and 20 with more than 10 years.
- Teambuilding sessions outdoor to learn and adopt principles and behaviors related with REXAM and Shingo culture
- High school program for those who desire to conclude their studies.
- English programs for people who need it for their development and job requirements.
- 14 operators recognized as qualified and trained to develop their skills in 2015
- Qualified and expert training process for operations positions.
- Rexam Blue Chip program in place to recognize outstanding individual effort.
Delivery performance and cost reductions
- The percentage of deliveries made on time and in full have been maintained in levels close to 100% since 2000.
- 12-oz. OEE has increased from 80.10% to 84.41% and 24-oz. OEE from 66.80% to 69.38% from 2013 to 2014.
- Aluminum scrap was reduced from 2.92% to 2.15% 12-oz. line and from 4.44% to 3.99% for 24-oz. line from 2013 to 2014.
- Total conversion costs were reduced 12.89% for 12-oz. line and 10.55% for 24-oz. line between 2013 and 2014.
- $1,036,640 in cost saving projects in 2012.
- $1,507,630 in cost saving projects in 2013 and 2014.
- Direct materials usage improved from 2012 to 2014. Varnish usage was reduced by 32%. Ink usage was reduced by 21%. Inside spray usage was reduced by 16%.
Jon Alder, Director, Group Lean Enterprise | Tel: +44 (0)20 7227 4197 | Mobile: +44 (0)7786 197474 | Email: email@example.com